Building services are engineering companies that work with the construction industry, fitting houses and other buildings with the basic amenities such as plumbing and drainage, central heating, insulation, ventilation and electricity and power.
The building services engineering sector employs over 600,000 people in over 60,000 businesses (NationalCareersService). There are a number of different types of building services company, specialising in different fields or providing a combination of facilities.
All homes and businesses need basic heating, water and power but it is not always down to the utilities and energy companies to install each system and commodity into the individual buildings. This is the realm of building services companies, who can specialise in one or a combination of the following areas:
- Electricity and electrical fittings – employers specialising in electrics will hire skilled electricians to wire up new houses and buildings to mains electrics and to install electrical fittings and/or appliances.
- Gas and heating – gas companies need gas system engineers to install pipes in houses and buildings efficiently and safely. Central heating systems are needed in all new buildings as well as effective ventilation.
- Plumbing and drainage – plumbers can work in all sorts of areas within building services and utilities. As well as being employed directly by and individual customer to repair pipes and leaks, plumbers will also install new water pipes and drainage.
- Insulation – this is a similar area to gas and heating, whereby insulation engineers will work to insulate the gas and heating systems previously installed. This also includes fitting insulation in windows, doors and roofs.
- Telecommunications – communication networks are extremely important in buildings used for businesses. Telecommunication network installers will be employed by building services companies to install internet and telephone networks in new buildings and homes.