Thursday, 25th April 2019


Required Qualifications

Being as competitive as it is, planning and development surveyors will require at least five GCSEs and preferably three A-levels. Whilst the A-levels don’t have to be in a relevant subject to surveying, university degrees usually must be. Degrees in City and Town Planning are available, but there are also postgraduate courses available to those who have taken a different subject. Town planners must eventually hold a qualification accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI).

Town planners will specialise in planning and the legal, policy and processes that make it effective. Once they have worked under a senior planner they may graduate to look after their own district within a town and, after many years of experience, they become a chief town planner and oversee entire regions.

Top Universities to Study Building and Town and Country Planning (The Guardian 2014)